Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have many new methods and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of people the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free way to fix vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor doesn't know can injure you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, discover another one.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
7. Expect to see very well check over here after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The finest surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each client. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting up until the brand-new lenses are available. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals around the globe.